Wednesday 7 July 2010

No Route, No Brainer!


Mad! Crazy! Idiot! Amateur!

Just some of the names being thrown at me this morning and it's funny as... well, let's say fudge. Yesterday I tweeted that unlike 99.9% of other people who cycle from Land's End to John O' Groats, I wouldn't be taking a pre-planned route or GPS maps to guide me. I've decided to set off and make my own way the 1000 miles to John O' Groats.

For the doubters and other critical beasts who think I should be castrated and locked up (why castrated I don't know!), here's why I'm doing it this way.

First of all, I am different. I've always been the strangest boy in the class for some reason and I want to do this differently to everyone else. Of course I understand the benefits (or need) to having a pre-determined route, but for me that takes away a large element of fun, the unpredictability. My idea of making this an enjoyable, memorable and interesting challenge is to make it as unpredictable as possible. I want to have to make choices and decisions on the spot. I want to be able to cycle as much or as little as I want in a day, not be constrained by a daily target.
So it's decided. No route, no pre-booked accommodation, no maps, no GPS. Maybe the straitjacket is a good idea after all... woop woop woop, jibber jibber.....

No comments:

Post a Comment